Monday, July 4, 2011

Sample Menu of the Day

Breakfast: It really is the most important meal of the day. Eat it. For years, I never ate it. Most people I know don't eat it. I never ever felt hungry the first thing in the morning. Coffee and go! And starve by lunch time.

Not so on this diet. When you first start out, you may have to train yourself to eat something. After being on this diet for about a month, I am starving when I wake up. In fact, my early morning dreams entail food. I wake up dreaming of b'fast food and am ready to eat.

So what can you have for breakfast? Anything. But remember that it will be the most filling meal you have all day. It is the most starved you will be.

Here is a sample menu for my day. Typically, there is a gap of 3 hours between every meal.

Sample 1

  1. B'fast: 1 boiled egg, 1 toast, 5 berries and cottage cheese.
  2. 5 pistachio nuts and savory lassi: Lassi is a blend of plain yogurt, water and some spices.
  3. Lunch: Sliced turkey, crackers, cheese and soup.
  4. Tomato juice and fruit.
  5. Dinner: Roti, spinach and lentils, yogurt and salaad. Salaad is a tray of veggies served on a platter. It usually contains slices of raddish, tomatoes, boiled beets, boiled yams, cucumbers etc.
  6. Blueberries and unsalted nuts.

To be fair, I never make it to the 6th meal. I am so stuffed by then. You can be successful even if you only eat 5 meals a day.

One thing I noticed is that in the beginning, I would stuff myself with goodies in the morning. And then be repulsed by food the rest of the day. Don't worry if that happens. Your body will automatically adjust. Within a week or so, you will look at each meal and think...." I have to eat in 3 hours. Oye!!!! I cannot stuff myself!"

Another thing... I tend to eat food that is flavorful and tasty. Not too fond of meat. So I substitute with lentils instead.

Watch this space for recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment